Wednesday, January 1, 2014

It's a New Year!

I've learned something about myself this fall.  Actually, I've learned a lot more than one thing, but more on that later.  What I've learned is that if something is all over facebook, like a video or something, I'm not likely to watch it or check it out.  At first.  Days or weeks later, I'll go hunting back, hoping to find what everyone is talking about or the post that piqued my interest, but I was determined not to be 'one of those people...'. So this isn't a typical New Year's post about resolutions, because I can't allow myself to be typical, I guess. But I have decided that I want to be more intentional about blogging again, mostly because I sense that there is some personal growth I need.  Some of that is in the area of discipline, some of that is in just forcing myself to reflect and be mindful of certain things or areas.  

I'm starting a new chapter this week.  I'm returning to work tomorrow.  Before Christmas I worked 7 days at my new job, and tomorrow marks the beginning of my new normal.  Routine, normal life and a realization that this is my life right now, and I need to live it.  I feel a bit like the last months have flown by, and I haven't really been living.  That needs to change.  So I'm starting by sharing the Christmas letter I wrote to my family this year. 

       I can't believe we are in the season of Advent once again! It has felt, at times, that 2013 was just crawling along, and at other times it has just flown by. 2013 has been a year of incredible change and challenge in my life.

At the end of January I was notified that my position as Interim Youth Pastor at Hope Community Covenant Church would not be included in the budget beyond June 30, and so I would be unemployed at that point. This was a complete surprise to me, and took me several moments to feel the full weight of this decision. Very quickly, I had some very big decisions to make. Questions like 'where will I live?' 'What will I do?' 'How will I pay my bills?' It was pretty overwhelming. An amazing gift at that time was a trip to San Diego where I attended a conference for Pastors in the Evangelical Covenant Church, and took my first class towards becoming a licensed Pastor. This trip was an opportunity to share with, and be supported by some of my closest friends during those first days of realizing that my entire life was about to change.

I moved out of my apartment at the end of April, which was the first step of a long, 4 month period of gradual transition. I went to live with a friend from college in Airdrie and commuted from there during my last 2 months on staff at Hope. I felt that this was a good way to slowly say goodbye to Strathmore, and gradually create some distance between me and the church as well. During the spring I also made the decision that my new home would be made in Winnipeg. I have several friends that live here, and the school I hope to attend in order to complete my Masters of Divinity is a short drive outside the city. It just seemed to make sense. Details came together for me to move here, including finding a roommate to share a home with.

I finished work on June 26 and the very next day began driving towards Ontario, with stops in Winnipeg for the weekend, and Iron Mountain, Michigan, where dear friends of mine live. During my time in Winnipeg, I was delighted to find that I actually like this city. I had only driven through previously, and had no sense of whether or not it was a city I would want to live in. I was surprised by lots of trees, cozy neighbourhoods, and street after street of old homes, which I love. My roommate Karissa and I spent some time driving around, identifying which neighbourhoods would be the best for us to live in when the time came. From Winnipeg I drove to Michigan, and spent a wonderful day with friends Dan and Sally, who drove me around, explaining history and the showing me the sights of the area, and we had a wonderful time reconnecting and enjoying each others company. Our friendship seems to be the kind that time and distance don't affect. We had also enjoyed a wonderful time together in San Diego last year, and I will see them once more this year, as I drive back to Ontario for Christmas.

I spent the entire month of July in Ontario, spending lots of time with my family, reconnecting with friends, and relaxing. In all, I was gone from June 27 to August 13. I found myself drawn to the water, and was able to see all 5 great lakes. I visited several beaches, and loved the hot, humid Ontario summer, while Alberta was cool and wet. The time away was a gracious gift, a welcome 'downtime' before the big move to Winnipeg, and another intense time of transition. I must say though, that after 7 weeks on the road and 4 months of being 'homeless', I was very ready to be settled again, even in a brand new environment. I put about 16,000 km on my car during those 7 weeks, and was quite happy to just 'be still' for a while when I returned to Winnipeg.

Karissa and I found an apartment that we both love, in a great neighbourhood that is convenient for both of us. We moved in on a hot, humid day, with the assistance of some amazing, sacrificial friends to whom we are forever indebted. Someone commented that the building had smelled good before we started moving in – we were all more than ready for showers by the end of the move in, mostly thanks to the fact that our apartment is on the top floor of a 4-storey walk-up... We laughed a lot that day, and I only nearly cried. Since then, I have found myself to be happy here, in Winnipeg. I had anticipated feeling homesick for Alberta, but that has not been the case. I look forward to going back to visit, and maybe even live one day, but for now I am happy living in Winnipeg.

I began school, as planned in September, but ended up withdrawing from my classes because I wasn't finding work as quickly as I had hoped. I wasn't able to devote the time to doing a proper job search while I was taking 3 classes. By dropping just 1 class I became ineligible for student loans. I ended up (quickly) making the decision to withdraw from all classes, and put school on hold for the moment. This decision brought more relief than disappointment. I was enjoying learning and studying, and I was doing well with staying on top of things, but at the end of the day, I just don't think the timing was right. While my goals haven't changed, I'm not sure that full time school will be a reality for me any time soon.

Not being in school has allowed me to do a much better and more thorough job of looking for work, and allowed me an open calendar for scheduling interviews and meetings. There have been plenty of interviews, and a few times I had rough days when I wondered if this season of unemployment was ever going to end. Probably the most challenging part of moving to Winnipeg has been learning and understanding how to work within a very different job market than what I was used to in Alberta. 2 or 3 interviews for an Administrative Assistant position is perfectly normal in Winnipeg, whereas in Alberta I have been offered a position during my first interview. The competition for a position has been evident and I have a few times been frustrated by going to an interview, having it go very well, and not getting the position. There has been a steep learning curve to say the least.

I am happy to say that just this afternoon (Dec. 6) I was offered a position, which I have accepted. I will be working as a Property Manager with a small, family owned company in a small town just outside Winnipeg. It feels like a great opportunity with a company that is growing quickly – certain plenty of opportunity for me to advance in the future, and grow with the company.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't glad this chapter of transition is over. I am happy to live within a structured schedule and routine again. I am incredibly thankful also, for the free time this fall, which allowed me to get to know and find my away around this city. My GPS system has been put to the test many times, and I'm now feeling quite comfortable running errands and driving many places without it. I am settling into a new (and quite different) church community. Holy Community is just a year old, and as a church plant, there are new and exciting challenges. I have enjoyed meeting new people, making new friends, and being constantly supported and encouraged by this group of people; another gift.

While this year has not at all been what I had anticipated at this time last year, I can honestly say that it has been good. I have continued learning about myself, and about God. I have experienced his faithfulness in ways I had never thought I would need to. In all the places I have gone, from Strathmore to San Diego to Belleville to Winnipeg to Atlanta (this coming week), God has been with me, revealing himself to me through his faithfulness, his providing friends and support systems, and through his creation. His providence has been perfect, even if I would have chosen different timing.

My prayer for you and your family, as we enter into Advent – the season of expectation of the coming of the Messiah, is that you too have experienced God's grace, faithfulness and providence in the good and challenging parts of 2013. As you celebrate the birth of Christ, may you know the peace of Jesus' presence with you, and may 2014 be filled with blessings, whatever shape those take.

Love,

Corinne

No comments:

Post a Comment